Tuesday, June 28, 2011

... and everything is so expensive and ...

Right now, the MV Explorer has stopped in Barcelona, Catalunya, Espana. And all I have to say is that I'm moving here when I grow up. It's beautiful. Everything about it. Yesterday I went on Architectural Tour of the city that took us all over. We went and saw the Barri Gotic (the Gothic Quarter) of the city and saw the medieval cathedral that was phenomenal. After that we walked around for a while and went to one of Anton Gaudi's apartment buildings, and the whole building felt like it was moving, really fluid, curving walls. It was really pretty. After the Gaudi building, went to lunch at a local bar. In Barcelona, all the restaurants are like bars with a few tables. They serve Tapas (small portions) of some delicious food and also drinks and beer. It's fantastic. After lunch, we went to the Sagrada Familia. And when I say I was awestruck, I mean, I was awestruck. This basilica that's been under construction for about 100 years is incredible. I've never been in a building so incredible spacious, and odd. The whole building was odd, it was this strange combination of modern and gothic and just crazy. I included some pictures below. One of my professors actually broke into tears, he teaches architecture and has never been inside the Sagrada Familia (it just opened in November of 2010, the Pope actually gave the first sermon inside). After a stop at the top of one of the mountains on the edge of town with panoramic views, we went back to the ship where I met up with my new friends. Most of them are from South Carolina, New England originally. After a 7pm dinner on the ship, we went to sleep, a nap really. At 10 o'clock we went out to the city. We went to a restaurant on La Rambla called Attic. It was delicious. I had duck. At first I saw the price, 13, and thought. Not bad at all. Then I realized, no 13 Euro. So 18 dollars. Plus the 3 Euro bottle of water and 1.50 Euro for bread. All in all, first dinner in Spain, (mind you, at 11pm), 20 Euro. But SO good! Delicious. Everything in Spain is delicious, but you pay for it. Haha then we went to a pub called La O'vella Negra (The Black Sheep in Catalan). After the pub we went to a discoteca and danced until 4am. Super fun night. Not bad for one day right? I'll update you later on what happened today. Talk to you soon.

Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment